Github Join Discord Sponsor ♥ Follow on Twitter
- High quality volumetric lighting (directional, point, spot) with soft shadows.
- PC (Windows, Linux, macOS) and Web (WebAssembly) support.
- Deferred shading - use tons of lights with small overhead.
- Built-in save/load - save or load entire state of the engine in one call.
- Full-featured scene graph with various nodes (pivot, camera, mesh, light, particle system, sprite).
- High quality binaural sound with Head-Related Transfer Function (HRTF) support.
- Standalone scene editor - make scenes in native engine format using the power of rusty-editor.
- Advanced physics: rigid bodies, rich set of various colliders, joints, ray casting, etc.
- Advanced user interface with lots of widgets, the editor is made using this UI.
- Advanced animation system with animation blending machines (similar to Mecanim) and animation retargetting.
- Multi-camera rendering - allows you to create picture-in-picture effects, make split-screen games and so on.
- Async asset management - load textures, models, sound buffers asynchronously and utilize all available CPU power.
- Skinning with flexible animation system.
- Multiple scenes support - allows you to have separate scenes for game menu, levels and so on.
- Normal, parallax, environment mapping - classic techiques that tremendously improves quality of graphics.
- Level-of-detail (LOD) support - allows you to change details of distant models to improve performance.
- Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO) - add “volume” to your scenes at low cost.
- Fast Approximate AntiAliasing (FXAA) - old, but good antialising.
- Geometry instancing - render lots of objects without low overhead.
- Render in texture - render scene in a texture and use it later in other scene.
- Sky box - add details for outdoor scenes.
- Lightmap generator - bake static lights into texture to improve runtime performance.
- Particle systems with soft particles - flexible particles system allows you to build complex effects.
- Navmesh with
A*pathfinder - build navigation mesh for pathfinding and search paths on in.
- FBX Loader - allows you to load models of any complexity from industry-standard FBX format.
- TTF/OTF fonts support.
- Support of various texture formats, such as: png, jpg, dds (including compressed), tga, bmp, etc.
- Powerful core library with lots of commonly used algorithms.
- Fast iterative compilation: ~3 seconds in Debug, ~8 seconds in Release.
- Lots of examples covering various aspects of the engine.
- Production ready - it is possible to build almost any kind of game.
- Documentation and tutorials - it’s easy start making your own game!
- Hierarchical model resources - combine multiple assets in prefabs and engine will do the rest of the work.
The engine comes with an editor: rusty-editor is a native scene editor for the rg3d game engine.
Timelapse of editing process:
Check online example!
3rd person shooter in the very early development phase. This is commercial project that will eventually be released in Steam. Also, the project is meant to be the proof that rg3d game engine is ready for commercial production.
rusty-shooter is a first-person shooter, which is a big demo for the engine.
Writing a 3D Shooter using rg3d:
rg3d has lots of examples covering various aspects of the engine, they can be found here
This project wouldn’t exist without these people:
- tom cors
- Daniel Simon
- Yuki Ishii
- Vish Vadlamani
- Aleks Row
- Vitaliy (ArcticNoise) Chernyshev
- Alexey Kuznetsov
- Ben Anderson
- Jesper Nordenberg
- Joseph Catrambone
RG3D stands for Rust Game engine 3D, it was started in the January 2019 as a hobby project to learn Rust.